Did You Know…
- Suicide is the 3rd leading cause of death among Americans ages 15-24
- 80% of suicide deaths are among men
- An American dies by suicide every 14 minutes
- 1.1 million Americans attempt suicide every year
- High risk factors for people who may commit suicide are: prior suicide attempt, mental health challenges, substance abuse, and access to lethal means
- In 2012, suicide rates were the highest among Americans aged 45-54
In this section of EIC Online you will find science-based information about suicide tailored for entertainment creators. We all know that depicting depression and suicide can be tricky, especially with worries that viewers and sponsors might be offended or alarmed by references to suicide; however, approaching these issues with great care can carry more inherent drama than almost anything else. Depression can be a life-or-death situation–with those stakes, the drama is built in. This section of EIC Online is here to give you the information you need from experts and people who live with depression or have survived suicide.
If you would like to speak to an expert on suicide or any other mental health concern, or to set up a free briefing for you, your production or studio, contact EIC’s First Draft service.